Brought to you by

Thread

Upgrade path from EE1.7 stuck on PHP versions

March 15, 2019 11:40am

Subscribe [2]
  • #1 / Mar 15, 2019 11:40am

Ty Martin

230 posts

I was running a site on EE 1.7 (for many years! Such stability!), but recently the host updated all of their LAMP stacks to PHP 7.2 and I neglected to take action in time.

Now when I start the update process to EE2 (in order to get to EE5), it loads the first screen, but upon clicking the Begin button, I get a 500 error. I’m assuming this is because it requires PHP 5 to run the upgrade wizard. I’m stuck. What can I do?

• #2 / Mar 15, 2019 8:27pm

Derek Jones

7518 posts

You’ll need to perform the upgrades in an environment that each step supports. That means to upgrade to v2, you need to be on PHP <= 7.1. If you have add-ons, you may need to address incompatibilities in those as well. But after upgrading to v2, you can move on to 3/4/5 on PHP 7.2, and it’ll be a cinch. If your host doesn’t have PHP 7.1 or lower available, you’ll need to replicate your site from a database backup on a different environment—locally perhaps—and upgrade it there, then migrate back to the host.

• #3 / Mar 15, 2019 8:49pm

Ty Martin

230 posts

Okay. I’ll have to ask the host to migrate my sites then. Thanks for confirming!

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases