Thread

A complicated one. How can I get the entries of a Child of a Child of a Parrent Channel

January 10, 2018 5:06pm

Subscribe [2]
  • #1 / Jan 10, 2018 5:06pm

bobural

20 posts

I have the following scenario:

• child channel “Car Models” where I store all the car models I have.
    • relationship field to…
    • parent channel “Car Brand” where I store car brand. When I add an entry here I can select the car models relevant to that car brand I want as relationship. (ex. Ford brand entry has Ford GT and Ford Mustang as related entries from child channel “Car Models” )

• a third channel “Car Reviews” with a channel form so a normal user can add a review in the front end

• relationship field to…
    • channel “Car Brand”

my questions. in the channel form I have a select to get all my Car Brand entry but I cannot get their child related entries from “Car Models” channel…

For example: On the front-end a user writes a review using my channel form for channel “Car Reviews” and selects Ford brand to post a review…. but I do not know how can I get the entries related to Ford (Mustang, GT, etc) in this channel form.

Any pointers would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

• #2 / Jan 12, 2018 11:15am

James Catt

17 posts

Can you not use categories for the car brand instead of a channel + relationships? That would make it super simple.

If that doesn’t work for you, you might be able to do it with an embed, something like:

{embed="my_embed_template" parent_entry_id="1234"} // where 1234 is the entry_id for the brand

Then in the embedded template:

{exp:channel:entries channel="carbrand" entry_id="{embed:parent_entry_id}"}

{relationship_field}

// great stuff about cars here

{/relationship_field}

{/exp:channel:entries}
  • #3 / Jan 12, 2018 6:42pm

bobural

20 posts

Thank you James,

I do not know if you or anyone else understood me but I did a small drowning - image: ()

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases