ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

Moblog:Unable to connect to email server

December 28, 2010 6:49am

Subscribe [7]
  • #1 / Dec 28, 2010 6:49am

Niels Fassbender

18 posts

Hello,

My name is Niels, i’m a graphic designer from the Netherlands. I’m pretty new to EE but motivated to learn the system.
    I am currently working on my first site in EE, but I’m having some problems with the moblog module! I keep getting the message: Unable to connect to email server

I already tried different approaches, leads, forums and mail servers. but nothing seems to work.

I hope you can help me…

Grt, Niels

• #2 / Dec 28, 2010 11:02am

Sue Crocker

26054 posts

Welcome to the ExpressionEngine forums, Niels.

Since you’re new to the EE forums, have you seen EEWiki:// How to Post a Support Request?

What kind of email account are you attempting to use with your moblog? Is it gmail, or a something else?

Which version/build of EE1.x are you using? You can find that at the bottom of any control panel page.

• #3 / Dec 28, 2010 11:21am

Niels Fassbender

18 posts

Hello Sue,

I can use both my own pop3 and/or a gmail account. So it’s your call what to use best. currently i’ve set up the moblog account with my own (working) email adress: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). I use the latest version: v2.1.3 (installed it last week).

Grt

• #4 / Dec 28, 2010 3:57pm

Ingmar

29245 posts

I would suggest to use your own POP3 account, yes. What are you trying to do? Where exactly are you getting this error?

• #5 / Dec 28, 2010 5:28pm

Niels Fassbender

18 posts

When i click on “test moblog module” at the backend module moblog i get a scroll down at the top with the message:Unable to connect to email server
    i also get this message at the moblog page of the site: http://www.cmm-online.nl/cms/index.php/CMM/Moblog

the message is this:

Janneke’s Moblog
    Unable to connect to email server

Moblog was successfully checked
    Emails Retrieved: 0
    Entries Added: 0
    Attachments Uploaded: 0
    Pings Sent: 0
    {/exp:moblog:}:

i am using my own working pop3 account.

Hope this helps?

Grt, Niels

• #6 / Dec 29, 2010 2:01am

John Henry Donovan

12339 posts

Niels,

What is the full moblog tag you added to the Moblog template?
    I think you may have closed it incorrectly.

Regardless, it looks like your email account settings are incorrect.

A common mistake would be to add just a username ‘foo’ but not include the full email address if it is the actual username ‘foo@site.com’

Can you double check with your host if you have the correct settings please.

• #7 / Dec 29, 2010 4:43am

Niels Fassbender

18 posts

John HD,

There was indeed a error in the Moblog closing tag: i now changed it from:{/exp:moblog} to {/exp:moblog:check}

complete tag is:

{exp:moblog:check silent="false" which="moblog"}
    {/exp:moblog:check}

—-
    i checked my e-mail setting several times and i did use the correct/complete e-mail adress username. ‘name@adres.com’ i also tried a gmail account for testing.

• #8 / Dec 29, 2010 11:04am

Sue Crocker

26054 posts

Gmail won’t work. If you use Communicate to test with, does the email go to the right account? In other words, are you using the same POP3 settings on an account correctly?

• #9 / Dec 29, 2010 5:02pm

Niels Fassbender

18 posts

Hello, I’ve been trying some things but no luck so far. I do get 2 php errors so i hope this can help you..?

Under cp>admin>email config i’ve setup my personal email account. When i go to tools>communicate and i send an e-mail i get the following 2 messages:

A PHP Error was encountered
    Severity: Notice
    Filename: cp/tools_communicate.php
    Line Number: 296

A PHP Error was encountered
    Severity: Warning
    Message: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/vhosts/cmm-online.nl/httpdocs/cms/system/codeigniter/system/core/Exceptions.php:170)
    Filename: core/Common.php
    Line Number: 409

• #10 / Dec 29, 2010 10:38pm

John Henry Donovan

12339 posts

Niels

Moving this thread to the EE2 forum for you

Under cp>admin>email config I’ve set-up my personal email account.

Just set your Email protocol to PHP Mail for now and add your webmaster email address and turn on email debugging.

Can you copy system/expressionengine/utilities/email_test.php into your root. Visit it in a browser and try and send a mail.

This will only determine however if you are able to send an email via EE.
    Your moblog issue is that EE is having trouble logging into your email account.

Just for troubleshooting sakes can you also try with English as the main language of the CP please.

• #11 / Dec 30, 2010 6:46am

Niels Fassbender

18 posts

I did receive the e-mail wich was send from “email_test.php”.http://www.cmm-online.nl/email_test.php.

I also got this message:

Email Test Script

No PHP errors were encountered, which indicates that PHP correctly attempted to send your email message.

If you do not receive the email it could be due to one of the following problems:

Your hosting provider might not permit email to be sent using PHP mail
    The path to Sendmail is incorrect in your server’s PHP ini file
    Your server does not have Sendmail configured correctly.
    The recipient’s email server has spam blocking software which is incorrectly identifying messages send using PHP as spam

—-

When i click in moblog module on ‘check moblog’ i still got the message ‘unable to connect to mail server’

when i check the test page: ‘http://www.cmm-online.nl/cms/index.php/Moblog’ i still get the same message:

Janneke’s Moblog
    Unable to connect to email server

Moblog was successfully checked
    Emails Retrieved: 0
    Entries Added: 0
    Attachments Uploaded: 0
    Pings Sent: 0

I hope this will help..?

• #12 / Dec 30, 2010 10:07am

Sue Crocker

26054 posts

Niels, do you use this email account anywhere else? If so, are you able to connect to it using whatever email program you’re using?

• #13 / Dec 30, 2010 10:35am

Niels Fassbender

18 posts

Yes, It’s my personal e-mail account which i use on a daily base. i am connected to it with apple mail
    Does this answer your question?

grt

• #14 / Dec 30, 2010 10:44am

Sue Crocker

26054 posts

Let’s get some login details from you… please check your email in a few minutes. Just a quick warning.. we’re going to be on vacation here in the forums for a few days, so you may not get a response right away.

• #15 / Dec 30, 2010 11:16am

Sue Crocker

26054 posts

Niels, your moblog doesn’t have any custom fields. You’ll need to assign at least one custom field to it. Can you do so, and let us know when you do? I also changed the settings for the status to point to a valid status group.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases