ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

Autoresponder recommendation?

April 21, 2008 2:25pm

Subscribe [6]
  • #1 / Apr 21, 2008 2:25pm

ms

274 posts

For a client, I’m looking for a trustworthy but lowcost autoresponder/newsletter service provider that should be integrated into an EE site (which will not use the membership functions of of EE). The client doesn’t like a self-installed script, we are talking about <5.000 email addresses in multiple lists and different followup sequences (in part with attachments) and a monthly newsletter.

I’ve googled about aweber, icontact, constant contact and a few others and currently, aweber seems to get the most recommendations. But I wonder if anyone has any personal recommendation/experience to share?

• #2 / Apr 21, 2008 8:45pm

trif3cta

148 posts

Aweber seems to be the king of autoresponders, but I’ve read decent things about GetResponse as well.

From my iContact use, I don’t believe the autoresponder will do what you want (i.e., send out emails based on certain rules). I just think you can set emails to go out at regular intervals.

For straight-ahead email marketing, any of the Freshview products are awesome. MailChimp and Vertical Response are quite nice too.

• #3 / Jun 02, 2008 10:51am

rmeder

97 posts

ms,

Who did you end up using?  I have been using aWeber for a couple years, but I’m looking for a new provider.  I need something with an API and although aWeber keeps eluding to a future API they still don’t even have it in beta.

Solspace has created an extension for Constant Contact which would make everything easy, but they do not have an autoresponder.  Supposedly in the works, but they are hinting towards release near the end of the year.

• #4 / Jun 02, 2008 11:32am

ms

274 posts

We ended up using AWeber as well and it works very well in most scenarios, but we have encountered some difficulties with umlauts and language customization. An API would be great as well (but not needed in that particular project) and perhaps for a new project I’d look for another solution again. However, AWeber seems to be a very reasonable solution given that you could spend a heck of money for the same service somewhere else.

Markus

• #5 / Jun 02, 2008 11:34am

rmeder

97 posts

How do you handle signups?  A separate embedded form or there email parser?

• #6 / Jun 02, 2008 6:22pm

ms

274 posts

How do you handle signups?  A separate embedded form or there email parser?

We copied (and slightly adjusted for design) the HTML code AWeber is generating - we didn’t want to use the JS code. The problem we ran into was that seemingly AWeber assumes the page containing the form is ISO-8859-1 coded whereas ours are UTF-8 coded. That normally is no problem with the mail address but can lead to wrongly encoded names (used in personalization) in the AWeber database - and a malformed GET data error on the thankyou page if you try to pass the subscription data back to EE. Maybe an iframe would be a solution but I hadn’t time to try and AWeber told us the foreign character sets are currently not officially supported and we could change subscription data manually.

Markus

• #7 / Mar 06, 2015 8:24am

I know this is an old thread, I’m just dropping this here as a possible solution for anyone else searching for ExpressionEngine + Autoresponders as I did.

I’ve been using ActiveCampaign for a while, which has both a nice API to work with, and some interesting site tracking that goes beyond email clicks. i.e. you can trigger emails based on visits or actions on certain pages as well as on previous email activity.

Given that most people’s interest here is in the websites rather than email, I thought it might be of interest.

• #8 / Sep 01, 2015 5:09pm

ronnie39

2 posts

aweber is the best choice

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases