ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

Rich Text Editor - line breaks disappear

May 17, 2012 6:58am

Subscribe [37]
  • #16 / Jun 11, 2012 11:58am

Dan Decker

7338 posts

Hi all,

I did talk to the devs on this and they are aware of the problems and are working to sort it out.

I’m going to move this discussion to Community Help since we won’t have a resolution here. The fix will be in a future release, but I don’t want to lose this conversation.

Cheers!

• #17 / Aug 15, 2012 4:33am

Jabbler

59 posts

It’s been 3 months since this bug was identified. I am using 2.5.2 and this bug still persist. Is it me?

• #18 / Aug 16, 2012 1:15pm

Kevin Smith

4784 posts

Yep, if anyone is interested in the progress of this bug, please follow the bug report here.

• #19 / Nov 04, 2012 10:28am

Monarobase

77 posts

I just added a +1 to that bug report.

It seems that there are two bugs :

1) When you hit enter on your keyboard the javascript creates a new paragraph whereas it should add a linebreak on the first hit and replace the line break with a paragraph on the second hit

2) When you edit the code (view code button) to add the line break and save, it gets saved but when you save it at a later date the line break disapeers.

• #20 / Feb 01, 2013 3:44am

Clive Portman

83 posts

in system/expressionengine/module/rte/ft.rte.php comment out line 165

/*$data = str_replace('
    ', "\n", $data); // must happen before the decode or we won't know which are ours */

Hans-Jakob

As of EE 2.5.5, this is now in system/expressionengine/module/rte/libraries/Rte_lib.php

• #21 / Feb 27, 2013 9:50am

msmith29063

75 posts

Hans’ solution is not working for me. What’s the status of the bug and what can I do at this point to get the line breaks to display in the HTML? Thank you.

• #22 / Mar 01, 2013 12:01am

Jeremy S.

353 posts

EE 2.5.5 here and the bug STILL persists. 

Converts my HTML pasted directly into code view from:

<b>“When Earth’s Last Picture is Painted”

Kipling</b>

and creates this hot mess:

<b>“When Earth’s Last Picture is Painted”</b><b>

Kipling</b>

... and on top of it still renders it all on a single line when outputted.

• #23 / Mar 26, 2013 8:03am

directordash

3 posts

Thought I’d add in my 2 cents… running 2.5.5 on a brand new site/install; still problems with break tags disappearing.  Appears in the RTE source code, but in the page’s output source code there’s no break tags whatsoever;

This is the first line.

This is the second line.

And no break tags rendered.

Pretty useless. What’s the deal EllisLab!?

• #24 / Apr 13, 2013 8:00pm

truffl

4 posts

Same problem for me on a new install. How can this thread be nearly a year old and this not be fixed? Really, guys. We paid money for this.

• #25 / Apr 22, 2013 9:40am

stevenkovar

11 posts

This bug is aggravating. I can’t pass this off to a client now without a third-party WSYWIG. I certainly can’t expect a client to go in do their listings in HTML in order to get the expected formatting.

• #26 / May 13, 2013 1:11pm

hilengineering

4 posts

Has anyone found a fix for this?? Extremely annoying.

• #27 / May 13, 2013 1:47pm

Kevin Smith

4784 posts

Hey there hilengineering. This is actually fixed in the most recent release. Give 2.6.1 a try and see if that doesn’t clear it up for you.

• #28 / May 15, 2013 6:06pm

geertdeg

4 posts

This doesn’t work in version 2.6.1 either. :-(

• #29 / May 15, 2013 6:11pm

Kevin Smith

4784 posts

Mind posting a new bug report on this with as much clear detail as you can provide? If you’ll post exactly the steps you have to take to see the bug’s behavior, that’ll help us reproduce the bug on our end and get the problem knocked out. Thanks!

• #30 / May 17, 2013 2:39pm

tenfastfeet

4 posts

Extremely frustrating that such a basic and necessary (mandatory) feature takes so long to get fixed.  I would expect 1000 apologies and a DIY solution posted from the guys a EllisLabs within minutes of discovery.

Hans’ solution worked for me, but was found in the following file around line 419:

system/expressionengine/module/rte/libraries/Rte_lib.php

Just comment out the line:

// $data = str_replace('
    ', "\n", $data); // must happen before…
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases