ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

Rich Text Editor - line breaks disappear

May 17, 2012 6:58am

Subscribe [36]
  • #1 / May 17, 2012 6:58am

    Marien's avatar

    Marien

    56 posts

    I just tried the new Rich Text Editor of ExpressionEngine, but somehow all line breaks (br) disappear on te front-end of the web site. Paragraphs are working fine.

    When I click view code in the publish-form, I can see all br’s and p’s looking good. When I view the output HTML on the site, all br-tags seem to be removed.

    Any idea what could cause this?

  • #2 / May 18, 2012 10:28am

    Dan Decker

    7338 posts

    Hi Marien,

    Thank you for posting on the forums!

    When editing an entry, select the “View Code” toggle in the RTE - are your line break tags visible there?

    Was this an update from a provisos version of ExpressionEngine or a fresh install of 2.5?

    Cheers,

  • #3 / May 20, 2012 6:43pm

    Marien's avatar

    Marien

    56 posts

    When I click View Code all br-tags are there, on the site they disappear.

    It’s a fresh install of EE 2.5

  • #4 / May 23, 2012 3:32pm

    Dan Decker

    7338 posts

    Hi Marien,

    It sounds similar to this bug report, note Pascal’s explanation.

    Cheers,

  • #5 / May 24, 2012 5:58am

    Marien's avatar

    Marien

    56 posts

    I don’t think that’s the case here. Is not about double line breaks, they should indeed become paragraphs. I agree with that.

    But my problem is about normal line breaks. See attachments for publish form vs. front-end output.

  • #6 / May 28, 2012 1:39pm

    Dane C

    23 posts

    Same is happening to me.  I have a site with poetry that needs single line breaks:

    Line 1
    
    Line 2
    
    etc…

    But when I save it, the line break tags just disappear.

    This happens whether I enter them in RTE view or code view.

  • #7 / May 30, 2012 1:11pm

    thomasaull

    14 posts

    same for me. EE 2.5.1, fresh install without any content inside, expect a channel and associated channel fields. When adding a br-tag in RTE, Frontend don’t display it. In the source code there is a new line, but no <br>

    Any chances for a bugfix or workaround?

    Edit: I run EE local on a MAMP-Installation.

  • #8 / May 31, 2012 11:48am

    Dan Decker

    7338 posts

    Hello all,

    I just ran an update to 2.5.1 to verify - indeed, this is still an issue.

    I’m going to bring this up to the Devs before filing it as a bug. They may be tracking it already as part of other issues they are working on.

    Thanks for your patience!

    Cheers,

  • #9 / May 31, 2012 1:16pm

    thomasaull

    14 posts

    please make it work in the next version! This makes the RTE unusable for me…

  • #10 / Jun 04, 2012 5:05pm

    Dan Decker

    7338 posts

    Hi Thomas,

    I empathize and understand your frustration!

    Like I said, I’m bringing this in front of the Developers for clarification.

    Thanks!

  • #11 / Jun 04, 2012 8:37pm

    Bruce Brown's avatar

    Bruce Brown

    74 posts

    I’m also having this issue with single line breaks.  I look forward to the clarification from the developers.

  • #12 / Jun 07, 2012 5:42am

    hjbollinger's avatar

    hjbollinger

    14 posts

    I struggled also with this issue last night - this behavior indeed makes the RTE almost useless. Looking forward to the dev’s clarifications.
    Thanks¨
    Hans-Jakob

  • #13 / Jun 07, 2012 10:37am

    Emily Heath's avatar

    Emily Heath

    197 posts

    Also having this problem of single linebreaks not working in RTE. Encountered this when trying to format an address. I hope there is a hack we can apply as I can’t wait until the next release for a fix!

  • #14 / Jun 07, 2012 3:01pm

    hjbollinger's avatar

    hjbollinger

    14 posts

    Hi
    a very quick fix - it worked out so far but it is not thoroughly tested:
    in system/expressionengine/module/rte/ft.rte.php comment out line 165

    /*$data = str_replace('
    ', "\n", $data); // must happen before the decode or we won't know which are ours */

    If there’s a better fix, please let me know - thanks!
    Hans-Jakob

  • #15 / Jun 08, 2012 4:59am

    Benjamin

    116 posts

    Have the same issue here and the problem still persists in 2.5.2.
    Very annoying issue, although Hans-Jakob’s fix works for me.

    Let’s hope there’s official fix for this soon.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases