ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

BoonEx Socal Networking Software

November 04, 2008 3:49pm

Subscribe [3]
  • #1 / Nov 04, 2008 3:49pm

grantmx

1439 posts

Looking to do another significant project next year and I was wondering if any has ever used Boonex software?  Like Dolphin Smart Community Builder or Ray Community Widget Suite.

What are your experiences?  What type of traffic you have coming and can it handle it?  How is it scalability, usability and customization. 

Also, what other solutions do you recommend?  Not too concerned with the cost at this point.  Just want to see what is out there.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

• #2 / Nov 04, 2008 4:46pm

grantmx

1439 posts

How about Jive http://www.jivesoftware.com/ - they look pretty good.

• #3 / Nov 04, 2008 5:07pm

Neil Evans

1403 posts

what features are you looking for? social sites of what nature???
    http://elgg.org
    http://www.socialengine.net/

i have used previous incarnations of boonex, but found it clunky.  I find it has to be used as is, changes are tricky. it seemed to previously be targeted specifically as a dating software, but i think new updates remove that direction and improve its flexibility.

• #4 / Nov 04, 2008 5:12pm

grantmx

1439 posts

Just general content creation, connecting with friends, creating groups, adding video.  The basic web 2.0 stuff.

• #5 / Aug 03, 2009 10:43am

James Smith

259 posts

Hi Marshall, did you get anywhere with this? I’m looking into Jive and quite liking what I see.

• #6 / Aug 03, 2009 12:36pm

grantmx

1439 posts

We decided to can the project for now, but there are a few other less expensive systems out there besides Jive, like Buddy Press, Boonex and KickApps.

• #7 / Aug 04, 2009 12:46am

4flix

88 posts

Boonex is riddled with ads, unless you pay Boonex a subscription fee to remove them.  I ran a Dolphin site for a while and it was alright, but as said earlier, it has to be run as is.  Support is horrible, and plugins are pretty costly.  Personally, I would stay away.

I liked buddy press but at the time there was integration issues between bbpress, buddypress, and WP.

Kickapps would be cool, never used them before but they seem reasonable.  I know vBulletin and Invision Power offer social networking capabilities, especially in the new version that just hit (or are about to) hit the streets.

Buddypress with bbpress and WordPress (MU) integration would be the way I would go.  Just my 2 cents.

• #8 / Aug 04, 2009 5:21am

James Smith

259 posts

Thanks - I’ll take a look at those too. Any opinions on Elgg? (elgg.com and elgg.org - bespoke and open-source respectively).

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases