ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

SimpliePie or RSS Feed Parser for ExpressionEngine

June 20, 2007 11:44pm

Subscribe [0]
  • #1 / Jun 20, 2007 11:44pm

mpace

20 posts

Hi folks,

I was wondering if SimplePie rss parser works within expressionengine or not.

I am having problems with it workign within expressionengine, but not outside of it (no expressonengine).

Instead of getting into it all.. I was just wondering if it’s even worth me trying to make it work, or if its out of the question of it working within expressionengine!

It’s either me doing somethign wrong, or it just doesn’t work!

If people do have it working, then i will go at it again, otherwise..

Does anyone know of a parser that will work within EE? All I want to do is pull 3-4 feeds from different sites and display the headlines. (Simplepie does this fine, but it doesnt seem to work in ee)

Thanks

• #2 / Jun 20, 2007 11:47pm

Lisa Wess

20502 posts

Head to Admin -> Utilities -> Plugin Manager and look for the Magpie Plugin.  It ships with EE and can do this quite easily. =)

• #3 / Jun 20, 2007 11:49pm

mpace

20 posts

Head to Admin -> Utilities -> Plugin Manager and look for the Magpie Plugin.  It ships with EE and can do this quite easily. =)

Ah, you again. My saviour! Merci.

Edit: Amazing! You just made my day.

• #4 / Jun 21, 2007 12:07am

mpace

20 posts

Quick question.

I have 3 of the 4 news feeds being displayed (yahoo!). But, the last one refuses to “parse”. Is it me, or is it just the way the feed was created, that’s messing up? Here is the error..

Warning: not well-formed (invalid token) at line 42, column 10 in /home/usr/public_html/dir/dir/plugins/pi.magpie.php on line 957

Warning: MagpieRSS: Failed to parse RSS file. (not well-formed (invalid token) at line 42, column 10) in /home/usr/public_html/dir/dir/plugins/pi.magpie.php on line 1379

The culprit feed is a “rssfeed.php”. Do the above errors mean that it wasnt created correctly, or is it me? (All i did was copy and paste.. 5-6 times over now!)

Thanks

• #5 / Jun 21, 2007 12:14am

Lisa Wess

20502 posts

It is probably the feed. Try running it through a feed validator.

• #6 / Jun 21, 2007 12:20am

mpace

20 posts

Hah, none of the 4 feeds validate, but indeed, that specific feed has this error..

XML parsing error: <unknown>:65:525: not well-formed (invalid token) [help]

... ollywood, comments "Toy Wishes"</description>

(it’s poting at the “/” in the closing description tag.)

Annnnnd the magpie error is talkign about an invalid token as well, so I guess that’s it.

Oh well, guess I can’t use that one!

Thanks again!

• #7 / Jun 21, 2007 12:22am

Lisa Wess

20502 posts

Sorry about that, mspace.  But yes - magpie working does rely on the feeds sending valid data for the most part.  Certain invalidations can cause more hiccups than others, as you can see. =)

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases