ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

ExpressionEngine always encoding email addresses despite it being disabled

July 08, 2014 1:42am

Subscribe [3]
  • #1 / Jul 08, 2014 1:42am

96black

26 posts

Hey guys,
    I’m having a frustrating issue at the moment. I’m outputting my search results and when I use the {excerpt} tag, my email addresses and links are getting replaced.

As a result of this being part of the excerpt, the javascript that handles obfuscating these addresses is being chopped off, and therefore output (i.e.):

(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)/*= 0)out += unescape(l.replace(/^\s\s*/, ‘&#’));while (—...

So that’s a slight issue in itself… but the reason this is a real problem is all channels have Automatically turn URLs and email addresses into links? set to NO!

I’ve verified this in the database, and I’ve verified that in the EE_Typography->encode_email() function, ee()->TMPL->encode_email is coming out as true!

• #2 / Jul 11, 2014 12:02pm

Kurt Deutscher

827 posts

Any chance this is an older site that might still have the email addresses formatted with the:

{encode="email@asitedomain.com"}

tags in the content?

• #3 / Jul 13, 2014 10:05pm

96black

26 posts

Hi Kurt. No this is an EE 2.8.1 site, and the emails aren’t manually replaced in the template. It seems to be automatic (despite this feature being disabled for this channel).

• #4 / Dec 10, 2014 11:17pm

ronh

10 posts

96black,

I’m curious if you found a solution to this.  I am experiencing the same problem on a site that is/was running EE 2.8.1.  I stepped it up to 2.9.2 hoping the issue may resolve but alas the search results tags keep encoding emails.