ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

customizing how EE outputs pages?

November 16, 2012 2:46pm

Subscribe [1]
  • #1 / Nov 16, 2012 2:46pm

griz_fan

1 posts

We have a pretty strange requirement for a CMS. We don’t want our CMS to actually serve up pages to the end user, but instead need it to build out the completed page to a specific directory, where we will then sync (FTP most likely) to our e-commerce server to integrate with our main ecom site. The main thing is that end-users will never see a page directly served up from the CMS.

So… can EE be customized to use something like template Caching (or Dynamic Page Caching) to build out all publishable pages so they can be served up by a different HTTP server? And… can this process be set to build on demand when needed or build on a schedule? In then end, we need EE to manage the content and build the pages, but then hand the files off to a different web server to get served up.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

• #2 / Nov 16, 2012 4:03pm

Dan Decker

7338 posts

Hi griz_fan,

Thank you for your interest in ExpressionEngine!

I’m not sure ExpressionEngine is a good fit for this. I thought about the various ExpressionEngine static page caching add-ons, CE Cache and Static Page Cache.

A better way to approach this might be to have ExpressionEngine serve as a web-service to the e-commerce server. For instance, entries in an ExpressionEngine channel can be output in a template in JSON.

Cheers,

• #3 / Nov 16, 2012 5:04pm

griz_fan

1 posts

Thanks Dan, those 2 caching solutions look tantalizingly close to what we want. Is this something a skilled EE developer could build? http://www.causingeffect.com/software/expressionengine/ce-cache/user-guide/static in particular looks close to the mark. what seems to be lacking is a means to force the system to build the cache files, or am I missing something? We definitely have budget to customize as needed…

thanks!

• #4 / Nov 19, 2012 10:59am

Dan Decker

7338 posts

Is this something a skilled EE developer could build?

I would expect so. CE Cache is extremely popular among performance minded ExpressionEngine developers these days. If it can be used like this, it should be no problem.

...in particular looks close to the mark. what seems to be lacking is a means to force the system to build the cache files, or am I missing something? We definitely have budget to customize as needed…

You can certainly contact the add-on’s author. I know several add-on developers will make custom changes or add features for special cases.

I suggest checking out Director-ee where you can post the job specs and find a capable ExpressionEngine developer.

Let me know if you need anything else!

Cheers,

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases