ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

Multiple Servers

November 03, 2012 11:45pm

Subscribe [2]
  • #1 / Nov 03, 2012 11:45pm

RichSnyder

4 posts

We are looking at Expression Engine and would like to run it in a multiple server environment. 

Server 1: main site and user creation / payment processing / private site
    Server 2: password protected content
    Server 3: additional password protected content

From what I’m reading, everything in EE needs to be on the same physical server.  Is that correct?

• #2 / Nov 04, 2012 9:18pm

RichSnyder

4 posts

Actually, if the member management involves an htpasswd file I can replicate that file to the other servers.  Sorry for the newb question.  ExpressionEngine looks perfect on the surface, I’m just making sure that the below the surface features will work for what we need.

• #3 / Nov 05, 2012 9:57am

Shane Eckert

7174 posts

Hello Rich,

Thank you for your question.

You are correct, ExpressionEngine wants everything on the same server. You link to protected content on another server, but the DB and files for ExpressionEngine need to be on the same server.

Member management, passwords and groups are not managed via htaccess.

I hope that helps.

If you have any other questions, please just let me know.

Thank you,

• #4 / Nov 05, 2012 10:35am

RichSnyder

4 posts

I guess I’m not understanding how I would have protected content on the other servers?  Since the finles on the other servers would not be under EE control, I would need to have a htpasswd file on those servers to allow apache to authorize access.

• #5 / Nov 05, 2012 12:11pm

Shane Eckert

7174 posts

Hey Rich,

Right. You would need to use htaccess on the others servers. I was clarifying that ExpressionEngine does not use htaccess for member management. Does that make sense?

Thank you,

• #6 / Nov 05, 2012 8:52pm

RichSnyder

4 posts

Basically, I need to be able process credit card memberships and our processor needs to be able to, through a cgi call:

1) Add User
    2) Delete User
    3) Check if User exists
    4) Change User password

Because of the single server restriction, I need to be able to extend the user management to also manage an htpasswd file.  Programming is no problem, but I just need to get an idea of this being possible within EE.  I’ve searched, but haven’t come up with much.

Really appreciate the help.

• #7 / Nov 06, 2012 10:07am

Shane Eckert

7174 posts

Hi Rich,

There are some hooks you can work with when dealing with Members. Aside from that, I am not aware of any Add-Ons that would help you here.

Does that help you get a feel for what you can do with members?

Cheers,

• #8 / Nov 07, 2012 8:49am

RichSnyder

4 posts

Yeah, thanks!  I think I just need to buy a copy and dig in.  Looks like what we want to do is possible with some coding, or at least it’s not impossible.

Really appreciate the help.

• #9 / Nov 07, 2012 10:13am

Shane Eckert

7174 posts

Hey Rich,

No problem!

Not impossible, that’s awesome.

If you need anything else, please just let me know by opening a new thread.

Cheers,

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases