ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

Keeping a development site in sync with a live site

April 02, 2012 11:53am

Subscribe [1]
  • #1 / Apr 02, 2012 11:53am

Antenna

87 posts

Hi,

I recently made a copy of a client’s site on another server so I could try out adding a few new features without risk of breaking the live site* - I followed this tutorial.

My question is how do I keep things in sync between the two versions of the site? Is it a matter of following the entire process in the tutorial every time, or are there just certain files / directories that I need to copy across (as well as the database)?

(*I realise I really need to implement a ‘development server’—> ‘staging server’—> ‘live server’ setup for my projects, but I’m still trying to get my head round everything - so if anyone has any advice or links to tutorials in this department it would be greatly appreciated)

Many thanks,

Andy

• #2 / Apr 05, 2012 2:22pm

johnHoysa

79 posts

Have you tried using Github? Here is a link I just posted to an other post with the same general question -
    http://hivelogic.com/articles/deploying-expressionengine-github-capistrano/

Hope this helps.

• #3 / Apr 13, 2012 11:19am

Antenna

87 posts

Thanks for that link,  John. Looks like I’ve got some reading & learning to do! 😊

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases