ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

What is your best PHP IDE for Ubuntu/ Linux

April 11, 2011 5:30am

Subscribe [16]
  • #1 / Apr 11, 2011 5:30am

[254]Prof

9 posts

I recently decided that it was time to make the switch fron Windows to Ubuntu. LAMP is all setup and running. My next problem is IDE, I have used gEdit but I find it helpful only for simple edits. For you who has been using linux for a while, what is your favourite IDE?

• #2 / Apr 11, 2011 7:11am

osci

377 posts

I would suggest netbeans, I love this editor.

• #3 / Apr 11, 2011 9:47am

[254]Prof

9 posts

I will try netbeans

For now I just found out that gEdit has a lot of developer plugins that turn it up a notch. Loving it so far

• #4 / Apr 11, 2011 10:18am

patwork

21 posts

gVim with plugins, if you dare 😉

http://www.vim.org/

• #5 / Apr 13, 2011 2:08pm

wsenjaya

1 posts

May be you can try with komodo Edit…
    It’s a free open source editor..  😉

• #6 / Apr 13, 2011 4:32pm

CI Coder

44 posts

I would suggest trying NuSphere’s PhpED. It’s not free, but it has some features that I love like remote projects and a pretty good SSH client that beats putty. I use it on Windows but it can be run on Linux and Mac also. Eclipse PDT is nice & free.

• #7 / Apr 13, 2011 5:41pm

[254]Prof

9 posts

@CI Coder
    Eclipse and Netbeans feel rather heavy. I think its something to do with them being Java based. NuSphere PhpED looks promising

@Wsenjaya
    I used to use Komodo IDE on windows. What’s the difference between Komodo IDE and Komodo Edit?

• #8 / Apr 13, 2011 6:06pm

CI Coder

44 posts

@CI Coder
    Eclipse and Netbeans feel rather heavy. I think its something to do with them being Java based. NuSphere PhpED looks promising

I use Eclipse for my Java projects. I wouldn’t say it’s “heavy.” The idea that Java is heavy and slow is a myth. Twitter’s search servers are all based on Java. I do however have a pretty good box with 8GB of RAM and a quad core microprocessor. I use PhpED for my CI/PHP projects because it has the SSH client which I use pretty much all day every day to administer servers with. It’s easier to have everything in the same IDE instead of having hundreds of applications open.

• #9 / Apr 14, 2011 9:22am

Ninjabear

54 posts

The only serious source code editor I could find on Ubuntu was Aptana studio. Seems difficult to install at first but it’s only a couple of steps. Don’t know if this is considered an IDE.

• #10 / Apr 14, 2011 11:35am

n0xie

1381 posts

I use Netbeans, gEdit and VIM.

• #11 / Apr 14, 2011 1:13pm

[254]Prof

9 posts

@CI Coder
    Haven’t tried Eclipse on my box yet. Netbeans I have and it takes too long to load hence the heavy comment. I have the same specs for my box, i will give Eclipse a try later.

So far I have settled for Komodo IDE and gEdit. I am still working my way towards VIM. And thank you all very much for your suggestions 😊

• #12 / Apr 15, 2011 3:23am

Rishabh Dangwal

1 posts

Love Netbeans and Eclipse 😊

• #13 / Apr 15, 2011 8:54am

eoinmcg

311 posts

both gedit and gvim.

if you haven’t seen it already this link has lots of good tips for setting up gedit
    http://www.micahcarrick.com/gedit-html-editor.html

• #14 / Apr 15, 2011 8:40pm

kabal`

1 posts

GUI-GEANY
    Console-Vim

• #15 / Apr 21, 2011 12:45am

kaege

15 posts

GUI-GEANY
    Console-Vim

Yeah, Geany all the way! It really reminded me of my days with Notepad++ and Windows :red:

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases