ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

Sending SMTP e-mail on 1and1.com server

March 29, 2010 9:03pm

Subscribe [5]
  • #1 / Mar 29, 2010 9:03pm

cxb450

2 posts

I have a Linux Hosting account at 1and1.com, and I’m writing the code locally on a Vista Box running the latest WAMP installation.  I switched over to PHP5. 

But to authenticate the user, I’m trying to send an e-mail with a link to click and I am having no luck.  The 1and1.com server requires authentication, and I don’t think CodeIgniter supports that. 

So when I pass the server, user, pass parameters and the message and to link and all, I call the send function as shown in the CodeIgniter online docs.  So far I’ve only ever gotten it to time out.  I’m not sure where the problem is, but I’m assuming I’m missing something that has to do with 1and1 configuration.  I was going to install phpmailer as a library in codeigniter, but I’m looking to see if I can do it with just using straight up CodeIgniter. 

Does anyone have experience sending email from php code on a 1and1 server?  If so, is there anything in particular (the user authentication is what I’m thinking) I need to consider?  I’m only timing out, never getting any other errors.  I left the smtp folder to default because 1and1 says their’s is set the same way.  Also, I define the ‘smtp’ protocol.  Any help is much appreciated!

Chris

• #2 / Mar 29, 2010 9:24pm

cxb450

2 posts

I ran netstat to see if any ports are open while the script is running, and I’m not seeing my SMTP port 25 in the list.  So I don’t think it’s getting out of the system, but as far as I know I opened the port in my firewall.

• #3 / Mar 29, 2010 9:49pm

cxb450

2 posts

Well geee, I upload it to the server and it works there.  But I still wonder how I get it to work on a local machine.

• #4 / May 01, 2010 1:39pm

bennyhill

51 posts

Did you ever figure out how to send email from codeigniter on 1and1?  I can’t seem to get it to work?  What does your email config look like?  My send mail function is in a model, does that matter?

• #5 / Aug 15, 2010 8:19pm

staggman

1 posts

I’ve just been working through the Jeffrey Wade tutorials (excellent by the way)

I couldn’t get the email library to work with 1and1 hosting using;

$config = Array(
            ‘protocol’=>‘smtp’,
            ‘smtp_host’=>‘auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk’,
            ‘smtp_port’=>‘25’,
            ‘smtp_user’=>‘changed@changed.com’,
            ‘smtp_pass’=>‘changed’
            );

I just kept getting timeouts and mad errors.

On a whim I tried

$config = Array(
            ‘protocol’=>‘mail’,
            ‘smtp_host’=>‘auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk’,
            ‘smtp_port’=>‘25’,
            ‘smtp_pass’=>‘changed’
            );

and bingo bango bongo it works!

go me!

Hope this helps

• #6 / Aug 15, 2010 10:18pm

clausiaa lee

1 posts

okay okay today tonight I promise my busy ass is gonna give yall the greatness..
      Watch The Expendables Movie Online for Free
      Watch Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World Movie Online for Free

• #7 / Sep 26, 2010 11:00pm

hooflung64

11 posts

$config = Array(
            ‘protocol’=>‘smtp’,
            ‘smtp_host’=>‘smtp.1and1.com’,
            ‘smtp_port’=>‘25’,
            ‘smtp_pass’=>‘changed’
            );

This works on the US 1and1.com for one of my clients who refuses to leave 1and1’s shoddy hosting.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases