ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

Migrating EE to new server: can't login to CP

March 10, 2010 11:21am

Subscribe [3]
  • #1 / Mar 10, 2010 11:21am

jtree

255 posts

I’m migrating an EE site to a new server following these directions - http://expressionengine.com/knowledge_base/article/how_do_i_move_ee_to_another_server/

I’ve finished all the steps but can’t login to the CP.  When I try to login it says the username wasn’t found in the database.

I looked in my database in exp_members and see that my username is there.  Any ideas of what to try next?  Thanks!

• #2 / Mar 10, 2010 11:26am

jtree

255 posts

Also I just compared both databases.

Original database - 78 tables, 7,458 records
    Imported database - 78 tables, 7,462 records

• #3 / Mar 10, 2010 11:41am

jtree

255 posts

Apologize for all the updates.  I’ve tried another username for the site and when I type it into login screen for the CP and hit submit, I just stay on the login screen.  There’s no error message or anything.  So I think it’s accepting this username/password it’s just not redirecting me to the CP homepage. 

Just so you know, I haven’t switched the dns for this site yet.  Not sure if that makes a difference.

• #4 / Mar 10, 2010 12:01pm

Sue Crocker

26054 posts

Make sure you clear all your cookies and try again. Does that help?

• #5 / Mar 10, 2010 12:10pm

jtree

255 posts

I cleared all the cookies in my browser and the same thing is happening.  I enter my username and password, hit submit, and I just stay on the CP login screen.  No error message or anything.

• #6 / Mar 10, 2010 5:16pm

Ingmar

29245 posts

What version and build are you on? Are you using any extensions? You did not edit the database manually (in a text editor, say) at any point?

• #7 / Mar 10, 2010 5:29pm

jtree

255 posts

I’m on 1.6.8, build Build: 20090723

I have the following extensions:
    jQuery for the Control Panel (v.1.1.1)
    Category Checkboxes (v.1.1.5)
    MD Add Sitename (v.1.2.2)
    Edit Menu (v.1.0.2)
    MD Live Search (v.1.2.1)
    Hide Smileys (v.1.0.0)
    Tag Submit (v.2.0.7)
    Edit Alert (v.1.0)

I’ve never edited the database in a text editor.

• #8 / Mar 10, 2010 11:07pm

Sue Crocker

26054 posts

Are you using the MSM?

• #9 / Mar 11, 2010 9:18am

jtree

255 posts

No

• #10 / Mar 11, 2010 9:49am

Sue Crocker

26054 posts

Since you can’t get into the control panel, can you edit your config.php file with the following changes:

$conf['admin_session_type'] = "c";
  • #11 / Mar 25, 2010 11:00am

jtree

255 posts

Ok I added that code to my config.php file and the same thing happens.  Still can’t login.

• #12 / Mar 25, 2010 11:04am

Sue Crocker

26054 posts

Try the opposite, use s for sessions instead.

• #13 / Mar 25, 2010 11:25am

jtree

255 posts

Hmm that seems to have worked, so what do I do from here on out to login to the CP?

On another note, it took about 5 minutes for the homepage of the CP to log me in.  And it’s still taking forever when I try to navigate to different sections of the CP.  At the bottom of my browser (Firefox) it says “Waiting for ajax.googleapis.com ...” .  I know I need to change some of the paths in the admin section because none of the styles are there.

• #14 / Mar 25, 2010 4:10pm

Ingmar

29245 posts

Hmm that seems to have worked, so what do I do from here on out to login to the CP?

There seems to be an issue with cookies. Make sure your browser accepts them, and that all the other settings are correct. Alternatively you can continue to use session ids exclusively, of course.

I know I need to change some of the paths in the admin section because none of the styles are there.

Yes, make sure those are correct, too.

• #15 / Mar 25, 2010 5:53pm

jtree

255 posts

I still can’t get the styles to pull in for the CP.  I’ve tried everything outlined here:
    http://expressionengine.com/knowledge_base/article/my_control_panel_appears_to_be_unstyled_looks_funny/

I’ve tried changing my “URL Path to Theme folder” and “Theme Folder Path” are set to both include the system folder and to not include it

I know this path is correct because I can navigate and see the images.  For example:
    http://ip/~username/themes/cp_global_images/arrow_down_sm.gif

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases