ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

When to run sql optimize table or repair table?

January 29, 2010 3:05pm

Subscribe [3]
  • #1 / Jan 29, 2010 3:05pm

Joe Wolin

206 posts

I noticed in the control panel that expressionengine has an option to optimize or repair selected database tables.

When should one run an optimization of their table(s), and what is it doing?

When would one need to repair a table, and what exactly is a repair doing?

• #2 / Jan 29, 2010 3:32pm

ender

1644 posts

I do it any time I import a large number of new entries, delete a bunch of stuff, or otherwise make radical changes to the database.

• #3 / Jan 29, 2010 3:34pm

Joe Wolin

206 posts

Thanks ender…

My knowledge of databases is limited so I’m not sure when to use these utilities and what they’re doing…

• #4 / Jan 29, 2010 5:28pm

grrramps

2219 posts

I do it any time I import a large number of new entries, delete a bunch of stuff, or otherwise make radical changes to the database.

Ditto for me. It’s a long standing practice. Plus, I have a cron job running to do it at least once a week.

• #5 / Jan 29, 2010 5:30pm

Joe Wolin

206 posts

Thanks grrramps.  Sounds like I’ll add this to my checklist but it will be a “magic button” to me for the most part.  😉

• #6 / Sep 25, 2014 5:17pm

lelkins001

9 posts

when I run Optimize on the table I get this message for each:

Table does not support optimize, doing recreate + analyze instead

looking at this thread:  https://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/217707/#1005824

All my tables are InnoDB.  Why does Shane say MyISAM is the correct type?  (I’m no DBA)

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases