Thread

Extension: Accessible Captchas

July 03, 2007 6:09pm

Subscribe [27]
  • #1 / Jul 03, 2007 6:09pm

Greg Salt

3988 posts

Hi,

This extension changes the captchas from graphic words to definable questions and answers. The settings allow you to create up to 8 simple questions and answers that will be randomly chosen in place of the captcha. So, for example, you could have:

Question: What is missing: North, South, East? Answer: West

Question: 2+2 is equal to? Answer: 4

Question: An … a day keeps the doctor away. What word is missing? Answer: apple

The captcha will then be replaced by one of these questions. The answer is case insensitive so for question 1 ‘West’ and ‘west’ will validate.

There is an additional setting: Answer hinting, that places text showing the number of characters required to complete the answer after the question. The hint will be wrapped in a span with the class ‘captcha-hints’ like so:

What is missing: North, South, East? <span class="captcha-hints">4 character(s) required</span>

Note that no other HTML tags are output so you can use whatever you wish to wrap and style the captcha question. The input is cleaned and processed by the existing form code.

Werner Gusset has kindly provided a German language file for this extension. You can download it from his site.

I hope that you find this useful. Let me know what you think of it and whether you think it could be improved.

Information can be found on our site here. The latest files will now be available on Bitbucket here.

Cheers

Dry

P.S. You will probably want to edit the lang.core.php file to change the error messages associated with either no captcha submitted or an incorrect one. The keys are ‘captcha_required’ and ‘captcha_incorrect’ on about lines 98 and 101 respectively. These changes are not required in the 2.x version.

• #2 / Jul 03, 2007 6:15pm

Lisa Wess

20446 posts

oh my goodness. This sound rockin’, will have to play with it this weekend. =)

Please add this to the add-on library. =)

• #3 / Jul 03, 2007 6:18pm

chrispiciullo

69 posts

Wow, Dry… this is fantastic. I’ve been wanting something like this ever since I saw a similar plugin for WordPress. Now I have something to play with tonight. grin

Thanks!

• #4 / Jul 03, 2007 7:29pm

PXLated

1800 posts

Cool, have never liked the EE captcha system.

• #5 / Jul 04, 2007 4:09am

Werner Gusset

115 posts

Thanks Dry

works perfect and I was looking a long time for such a solution.

One little thing: Could you put the hint text for “character(s) required” in the language file? On german sites we would like to have this be translated.

• #6 / Jul 04, 2007 4:19am

Greg Salt

3988 posts

Hi Werner,

Glad you like it. I’ll make that change and update the download later on today.

Cheers

Dry

• #7 / Jul 04, 2007 6:21am

chrispiciullo

69 posts

Hey Dry.

I’m not sure if this is doable with extensions as I’m wholly unfamiliar with how they work, but I was wondering if it would be possible to dynamically add more than 5 Q&A pairs. I guess I’m just worried that if, after a while, the same questions keep repeating all the bots will catch on eventually.

Am I being overly paranoid?

• #8 / Jul 04, 2007 7:50am

Daniel Walton

553 posts

Looks like you should just be able to add new “questionX” & “answerX” keys to the lang file, and the same to the settings array within the ext file.

• #9 / Jul 04, 2007 1:31pm

Greg Salt

3988 posts

Hey Dry. I’m not sure if this is doable with extensions as I’m wholly unfamiliar with how they work, but I was wondering if it would be possible to dynamically add more than 5 Q&A pairs. I guess I’m just worried that if, after a while, the same questions keep repeating all the bots will catch on eventually. Am I being overly paranoid?

Hi Crimson,

I am not sure that is easily doable. I can certainly add more Q&A fields and you don’t have to fill them all in for the extension work correctly.

Of course, it’s easy to change the questions on an infrequent basis and that is going to be completely transparent to your site users.

Cheers

Dry

• #10 / Jul 04, 2007 2:07pm

Werner Gusset

115 posts

There is an additional setting: Answer hinting, that places text showing the number of characters required to complete the answer after the question. The hint will be wrapped in a span with the class ‘captcha-hints’ like so:
    What is missing: North, South, East? <span class="captcha-hints">4 character(s) required</span>

Dry

Another little suggestion: could you wrap the hint in brackets () like

What is missing: North, South, East? <span class="captcha-hints">(4 character(s) required)</span>

otherwise we would need to add them in the extension file by hand

Thanks

• #11 / Jul 04, 2007 2:08pm

Greg Salt

3988 posts

Hi,

I’ve updated the extension to version 1.0.1. This moves the answer hint text into the language file and also adds 3 more Q&A sets giving a total of eight.

The file in the first post is the new download.

Cheers

Dry

• #12 / Jul 04, 2007 2:13pm

Greg Salt

3988 posts

Dry Another little suggestion: could you wrap the hint in brackets () like
    What is missing: North, South, East? <span class="captcha-hints">(4 character(s) required)</span>
    otherwise we would need to add them in the extension file by hand Thanks

Oops,

Sorry Werner I didn’t see your additional request. You know, I wondered about adding that the first time around but figured that it would be better to leave it as clean as possible.

Lemme see if I can come up with something in the settings to let you choose whether to have them or not.

Cheers

Dry

• #13 / Jul 04, 2007 2:51pm

Greg Salt

3988 posts

Hi,

Updated to version 1.0.2. Changes are:

1. Added new setting to enable hints wrapped in ( and )
    2. Slightly amended English language hints text

File in first post is new download.

Cheers

Dry

• #14 / Jul 05, 2007 1:52am

Werner Gusset

115 posts

Dry

That’s very good. I love this ext. Many thanks.

A new suggestion: what about an option to put the Hint on a new line? Would be handy sometime. And if you do this, give it a seperate CSS class. This way one could have the question bold and the hint normal.

If you want you can have the little lang file in German to include.

• #15 / Jul 05, 2007 4:50am

Greg Salt

3988 posts

Hi Werner,

Yeah, that’d be great. Send it over and I’ll update zip. Or, if you’d prefer just send me the link to your site download and I’ll update the first post.

Dry A new suggestion: what about an option to put the Hint on a new line? Would be handy sometime. And if you do this, give it a seperate CSS class. This way one could have the question bold and the hint normal.

You can already do this because the hints appear at the end of the question. All you have to do is make the hint span a block level element (in CSS) and style whatever tag you’ve wrapped around the captcha appropriately. In fact, I’ve done something like this:

Template

{captcha}

CSS

.captcha {
    font-weight: 900;
    }

.captcha-hints {
    display: block;
    font-style: italic;
    font-weight: 400;
    }

Cheers