Hey all -
So we’ve been trying to order a couple add-ons for our website, and strangely, our card is not working here. We ordered a few other add-ons using the exact same card from EEHarbor.com, and that one went through no problem! We get the following error message:
We were unable to complete your transaction. Please fill out all the required fields. Please try a different form of payment or call the number on the back of your card for details. You may also email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance completing your purchase.
Any idea why this might be occurring?
It does look like, with the help of one of Expression Engine’s Development Liaisons, we were able to track it down:
The order didn’t work on MY Firefox installs (on both macOS Monterey 12.4 or Fedora 34), but it DID work in my Chromium install (on Fedora 34). The EE Dev Liaison pointed out that it was perhaps some add-ons that were causing trouble, and indeed I DO run uBlock Origin on my Firefox, and (embarrassingly) didn’t think to whitelist https://expressionengine.com.
We did not test, as I managed to get all the add-ons we needed when ordering via Chromium, but it’s highly likely that this was the culprit, as the Dev Liaison insisted that the order form SHOULD work in Firefox.
Just FYI for anyone in the future encountering this problem…