Brought to you by

Thread

V4 auto updater error: Cannot get contents of path, the path is invalid

May 17, 2018 3:48pm

Subscribe [2]
  • #1 / May 17, 2018 3:48pm

espec

7 posts

First time posting, I’ve got a site that’s been upgraded in the last year or so from V2… to V4.

The full error message:

Update Stopped Oops, looks like the updater couldn’t complete. We stopped on Preflight check. Cannot get contents of path, the path is invalid: /www/eh22851/public_html/themes/ee/

Well, eh22851 is two servers ago. Last time I tried to figure this out I downloaded most of my ee system folders (including index.php and config.php) and did a text search for that server name … nothing, of course. In the early days of V4 I saw a thread about this being a problem.

I’ve been able to do manual upgrades, but why should I? Any ideas where the updater would be grabbing this path so I can fix this? Thanks.

• #2 / Mar 11, 2019 9:27am

espec

7 posts

Still happening today trying to get to v5.2. Sigh.

• #3 / Mar 11, 2019 9:54am

Kevin Cupp

787 posts

Make sure your theme path is valid for each site in your install.

• #4 / Mar 11, 2019 5:17pm

espec

7 posts

My main website paths are are legit at /cp/settings/urls.

I downloaded my ee and themes directories and text-searched for the old server reference with no luck. This site is 12 years old on EE, there is a bunch of old stuff lying around, and could be a rogue setting somewhere. Where else would the path be saved?

• #5 / Mar 11, 2019 5:30pm

Kevin Cupp

787 posts

Do you have an override in your config.php? Try removing that and then see if all your paths look right in the control panel. The updater might be pulling from the database instead of the config for some reason.

• #6 / Mar 15, 2019 10:21am

espec

7 posts

It continues to be a mystery. I have a custom ‘system’ folder rename/override and renamed index.php. I looked thru the EE database, I don’t know where a themes-path reference would be stored.

• #7 / Mar 15, 2019 11:14am

Kevin Cupp

787 posts

The themes path would be stored in the site_system_preferences column in your sites table. It’s tricky to edit though, you need to base64-decode it and carefully edit the serialized array, which there are tools online to help you with, and then re-encode everything back.

• #8 / Mar 15, 2019 12:09pm

espec

7 posts

That solved it, but not in the way I expected! I had multi-site set up in the past, the preferences for the old site were what was tripping these up, it has to be. When we upgraded from 2 to 3, we didn’t set up multi-site, so EE doesn’t even know it exists … except when running an upgrade, apparently it looks at exp_sites. I’ll wait for v5.2.2 to see if it works for sure. Thanks Kevin.

• #9 / Mar 15, 2019 2:56pm

Kevin Cupp

787 posts

Ah that might be it! Yes the updater simply loops through sites in the sites table, but doesn’t account for if you have multiple sites but have MSM disabled, perhaps an improvement could be made there. Thanks!

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases