Thread

Allow duplicate url titles again in 4.x

November 11, 2017 1:14pm

Subscribe [3]
  • #1 / Nov 11, 2017 1:14pm

Linda A

638 posts

In EE 3.x the ability to have duplicate url titles that automatically had a number appended to them was removed. Any chance of this making it back into 4.x? When you post a lot of related content over a number of years, you can easily hit the same post titles and its tedious to have to tweak a title somewhat or manually add a number to the url title. Plus, if you submit with an already taken title, it wipes out tags set via Solspace’s tag add-on, so you have to redo that work as well.

• #2 / Nov 12, 2017 9:05pm

James Mathias

210 posts

Hi,

We don’t currently have plans to add that functionality back into ExpressionEngine, however there is a plugin here that replicates that functionality if you need it. https://github.com/willowlight/Willow-Smart-URL-Title

• #3 / Nov 22, 2017 3:45pm

benoitlemay

14 posts

There’s also Simple Cloner -> https://github.com/ThorntonStuart/SimpleCloner.. I dont know if he will update to 4.X..

• #4 / Dec 07, 2017 5:29am

Linda A

638 posts

A belated thank you for both responses. I had hoped to avoid an add-on, since there’s always the issue of them staying updated. I guess I have to see if the Smart URL Title gets upgraded to 4 (if I am able to upgrade anyway).

• #5 / Dec 10, 2017 3:55pm

Pedro Guimaraes

170 posts

Smart URL Title is compatible with both 3 and 4.

• #6 / Feb 27, 2018 8:36pm

So far the problem I see here is that these only work in the CP, and do not solve the problem with a front end channel form. Please advise.

Alos, can you provide us a little detail in why this is such a big deal as to not put back into EE? Knowing there are no plans is one thing but understanding why is a bit more important.

• #7 / Mar 10, 2018 8:02pm

Derek Jones

7375 posts

Sorry for the delayed reply, Olomana. For front-end forms, just use the unique_url_title= parameter.

In the control panel this was purposefully removed in v3 because it allowed content authors to create very bad URLs too easily. It’s a field that 80% of the time they should be thoughtful about. For 20% that doesn’t cover, the above add-on will handle it for now. That’s why the front end has that parameter, incidentally: visitors are typically content “authors” that you do not want in control of the slug, or for which it doesn’t matter because you aren’t using that content in a way that maps to URL endpoints of your web site.

In a future version of ExpressionEngine we have plans to let site builders make it even easier for content authors have meaningful, unique slugs.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases