Thread

Over 80% of the time, when I try opening an entry, I get Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted

July 03, 2017 4:36pm

Subscribe [2]
  • #1 / Jul 03, 2017 4:36pm

    SPC-Lesli

    22 posts

    Hello,

    This has been happening since EE3.5.7. I am currently on 3.5.10. I’ve been hoping the issue would stop, but…it hasn’t.

    When I go to open an existing entry, or try to create a new entry, I’ll often get this error message, either when the form has barely loaded the title, or when most of the Publish tab is visible but the rest of the tabs’ content is not available. Sometimes when I reload the form and don’t click away to another tab, I’ll get the full form. Other times I may have to reload 3 or 4 times.

    I have 3 3rd-party addons installed: CCB Chopper, DevDemon’s Channel Polls, and Solspace’s Tag. I uninstalled Channel Polls, because installation of that plugin seemed to be close in time to when this error cropped up; but it still takes quite a while for an entry form to load, and I’m still seeing that error message.

    Error message (exact path modified for security purposes) Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 2052805 bytes) in /home/myaccountname/public_html/system/ee/EllisLab/ExpressionEngine/Service/View/View.php on line 135

  • #2 / Jul 04, 2017 1:58pm

    Derek Jones's avatar

    Derek Jones

    7176 posts

    Yikes, that’s a lot of memory used, and is certainly not normal. How many fields and how many categories does this channel have?

  • #3 / Jul 04, 2017 4:03pm

    SPC-Lesli

    22 posts

    Fields: 10 Categories: 13

    The number of fields and categories for this channel has stayed constant since I started using EE3.x. The EE2x version of this site had more fields, and an additional plugin (two, actually: Playa, and Solspace Ratings. I’m using the native Relationships field instead of Playa, and have decided not to use Ratings at all.)

  • #4 / Jul 04, 2017 4:09pm

    Derek Jones's avatar

    Derek Jones

    7176 posts

    Yeah you have something seriously wrong, I suspect perhaps some partial records caused by an add-on operation, migration, etc. If you put in a support ticket with login information I’d be happy to examine your DB for any malformed tables and records.

  • #5 / Jul 04, 2017 4:21pm

    SPC-Lesli

    22 posts

    Done.

    I haven’t done any migration, except creating entries and categories and suchwhich on my own. I was looking at using DataGrab to update some of the entries, but…now I’m glad I didn’t try this.

    I’ve been updating with almost every 3.x release (missed 3.5.9). This started around the upgrade to version 3.5.6.

  • #6 / Jul 04, 2017 7:22pm

    Derek Jones's avatar

    Derek Jones

    7176 posts

    Just circling back here in case someone else runs into a similar issue. In this instance a relationship field did not have a “Maximum entries” set, so it was loading all of the metadata for many thousands of entries. The ajax search-ability of that field makes it unnecessary to load all entries to be able to relate them, so applying an initial limit in that field’s settings fixed the memory issue and made things snappy again.

ExpressionEngine News

#eecms, #events, #releases