ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

Spammers adding themselves as members

November 09, 2012 3:38pm

Subscribe [3]
  • #1 / Nov 09, 2012 3:38pm

Geof Harries

109 posts

We have a website that offers paid membership for premium content. Somehow, there are bots/spammers who are adding themselves as new members through EE. They’re not submitting a form through the website, they’re coming directly into EE which nobody has access to except authorized staff members, so it’s a little disconcerting.

We think we’ve locked down EE as much as possible in regards to membership. Accounts need to be approved by staff before they are able to use the website. Accounts also are set to pending status before they are approved. We’ve also added the IP address to the Blacklist within EE.

Oh and we’re running EE 1.7.3, which I believe is the latest version.

Is there anything else we can do to block these requests from being processed?

thanks

geof

• #2 / Nov 12, 2012 11:14am

Shane Eckert

7174 posts

Hey there Geof,

I am sorry to hear you are running into this problem. Spam is such a pain.

Can you check out this article and let me know what you have tried from this list? This is the most important item: Change the default member-page trigger word.

Let me know and we can go from there.

Cheers,

• #3 / Nov 23, 2012 6:08pm

Geof Harries

109 posts

Shane,

Thanks. I’ve just changed the Trigger Word. Hopefully that will do the trick.

geof

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases