ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

File manager access levels

September 17, 2012 9:20am

Subscribe [2]
  • #1 / Sep 17, 2012 9:20am

Steve Blair

3 posts

Hi, our organization has a number of groups that meet regularly (committees, sub-committees, boards, etc) and we’d like a simple way of distributing meeting minutes and other related documents.

With the EE File Manager, can we create user groups for each of our committees that would allow them to access the relative files and documents? and can we limit that access to read only (no editing or deleting privileges)?

• #2 / Sep 17, 2012 10:33am

Shane Eckert

7174 posts

Hello Steve,

Welcome to the ExpressionEngine forums!!

Within the file manager you can create upload destinations and only present those to certain groups. So you would have an upload destination for each group. But to have one central upload destination and restrict file by group is not possible.

The file permissions are controlled by the OS. At this point in time there is no way to restrict read, write or execute privileges to a group. If the file is there, then it can be manage by anyone with access to that destination.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

• #3 / Sep 17, 2012 10:44am

Steve Blair

3 posts

Thanks for clearing that up Shane. It’s something we are definitely going to need for our site, so perhaps I’ll look through third-party add-ons or build something myself.

• #4 / Sep 17, 2012 11:56am

Shane Eckert

7174 posts

Hi Steve,

I am glad I could help.

I doubt there will be an Add-On because of the system permissions that would be required. But please let me know if you find one!

Thanks,

• #5 / Sep 20, 2012 1:19pm

Steve Blair

3 posts

Hey Shane, I think I may have found something along the lines I’d need - http://devot-ee.com/add-ons/vwm-secure-files. It looks kinda old though, so may not be supported by the current version of EE.

I figure if we (admins) can assign permissions to files via the file manager, I can build a page that users can access that will have simple download links to their respective files. Building that page for downloading doesn’t sound too complicated, it’s the assigning permissions in file manager that’s tripping me up since I don’t have EE to play around with (the higher ups want to know for sure that it’ll work before they let me purchase).

• #6 / Sep 20, 2012 1:36pm

Steve Blair

3 posts

Looking at some screenshots of the File Manager, there’s an option for Filter by Category. Could I just setup categories for each group (committees, subcommittees, board) then filter by that metadata when loading download links on the front end?

• #7 / Sep 20, 2012 3:43pm

Shane Eckert

7174 posts

Hey Steve,

That might work, but I am not sure just categories would help. I guess it depends on how bad it would be for other users who should not gain access to gain access.

You might bring this up in the Development and Programming forum.

Cheers,

• #8 / Oct 31, 2012 5:02pm

Shane Eckert

7174 posts

Hey Steve,

How are things going?

Can I do anything else?

Cheers,

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases