ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

CodeIgniter changes license to OSL 3.0?

October 21, 2011 6:55am

Subscribe [20]
  • #226 / Jan 15, 2012 10:46pm

kenjis

118 posts

Honestly this is a very serious change, the chane which hasn’t been done so far for other popular frameworks such like YII and others and this is really great. Strange why the community driven CodeIgniter is doing so, even if there is nothing useful for the community as the MIT license is already great, or let say the best… Please correct me if I am wrong.

The facts are
    - CI is not community driven, but EllisLab driven.
    - Nobody asked about the license change before EllisLab decided the change.
    - No contributors have been asked about the change.

EllisLab loves OSL, because they would like for people to know that a work is based on CodeIgniter, and OSL is the best to the purpose.

The obligation of OSL to provide the source code makes people to know CodeIgniter. Other open source licenses do not force to do like that (at lease I don’t know such a license).

• #227 / Jan 16, 2012 1:12am

skunkbad

1326 posts

And charge like the government per page.  Information might be free, but the paper it’s printed on isn’t 😊

The local courthouse charges 50 cents per page. It costs 9 cents to print a page at my local printer. So, I can make 41 cents per page if I go with the government page rate! J/K ... I think providing a physical copy is referring to a CD. Since it’s not specified, I guess it’s really up to interpretation.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases