ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

Client IE (7-9) errors causing endless amounts of grief

September 16, 2011 2:03pm

Subscribe [11]
  • #16 / Sep 27, 2011 10:48am

Kevin Smith

4784 posts

I do not experience any problems in particular when posting to the FAQ, but I’d say JavaScript errors in the console is reason enough to investigate and fix.

I agree, and we do want to get those fixed. I’m just saying I don’t want to focus solely on those errors being the cause of problems here since I’m also seeing them on sites where posting isn’t an issue.

Since you’re also not experiencing issues posting to the FAQ channel, could you walk me through the process I need to take to reproduce this problem on your site?

@nevsie, could you also walk me through exactly how to reproduce this problem on your Sandbox site? I’m unable to replicate.

• #17 / Sep 27, 2011 10:54am

Bjørn Børresen

629 posts

Since you’re also not experiencing issues posting to the FAQ channel, could you walk me through the process I need to take to reproduce this problem on your site?

Our problem is with Channel Images. If you navigate to Publish -> Hyttefelt and try to click the “Upload Images” button that Channel Images has nothing will happen. But this is most likely a problem that Devdemon needs to fix (unless they are caused by the previous js errors caused by EE).

• #18 / Sep 28, 2011 2:58pm

Kevin Smith

4784 posts

Our problem is with Channel Images. If you navigate to Publish -> Hyttefelt and try to click the “Upload Images” button that Channel Images has nothing will happen. But this is most likely a problem that Devdemon needs to fix (unless they are caused by the previous js errors caused by EE).

Yep, looks like something that’s best worked on with DevDemon. Keep us in the loop on your progress, though, and if Brad is able to narrow the problem down to something on our end, we definitely want to know about it.

@nevsie, no rush, just wanted you to know that I’m still keeping my eye out for a response from you.

• #19 / Sep 28, 2011 3:20pm

Bjørn Børresen

629 posts

Yep, looks like something that’s best worked on with DevDemon. Keep us in the loop on your progress, though, and if Brad is able to narrow the problem down to something on our end, we definitely want to know about it.

Sure thing, will do.

However, the issue with JS errors in the console still remains and are not related to Channel Images, so I hope you’re not giving up on that one 😉

• #20 / Sep 29, 2011 4:54pm

Kevin Smith

4784 posts

Sure thing, will do.

However, the issue with JS errors in the console still remains and are not related to Channel Images, so I hope you’re not giving up on that one 😉

Not at all, just trying to prioritize and get the issue at hand dealt with first. 😊

• #21 / Sep 30, 2011 2:47am

Bjørn Børresen

629 posts

btw does this issue have a bug ticket?

• #22 / Sep 30, 2011 4:45am

moonbeetle

81 posts

Just did a few tests myself with EE 2.2.2 Build 20110801 and IE 9.0.8112.16421.

Strangely enough, despite the multiple script errors (‘Object is undefined’, ‘JQuery is undefined’, ‘$ is undefined’,....) I could still use the CP and could publish an entry.
    Which doesn’t mean you’re off the hook 😉 I noticed that Channel Images doesn’t work on IE9 and it’s not clear whether the preceding CP JS errors cause this to happen or whether it’s Channel Images itself.

• #23 / Sep 30, 2011 5:19am

aelvan

33 posts

Forget it, my bad.

• #24 / Sep 30, 2011 5:43am

Bjørn Børresen

629 posts

Seems like this bug has been reported before:
    https://support.ellislab.com/bugs/detail/15196/

It is marked as “Fixed for the next release” in 2.2.1 - but as we know it’s still a problem in 2.2.2.

FYI there’s a solution to removing the js errors in that bug tracker issue.

• #25 / Oct 01, 2011 6:45pm

Kevin Smith

4784 posts

As Bjørn noted, that bug is marked with “Fixed for Next Release”. As Wes explains, that means it’s fixed in the next release of EE rather than just the release after the version in which the bug was discovered. So this bug is fixed in EE 2.3, which should be out shortly.

That said, if you apply the fixes noted in the bug report thread, do you still experience the issues that opened this support thread? (Asking both nevsie and Bjørn here.)

• #26 / Oct 20, 2011 7:00am

Kevin Smith

4784 posts

Looking for an update from both nevsie and Bjørn: If you upgrade to the latest version EE (2.3.1 at the time of writing), do the issues presented in this thread remain?

• #27 / Oct 20, 2011 6:33pm

StudioKong

34 posts

I just did a test with EE v2.3.1 and still have the issues in IE9. I get the following errors on the publish page:

Line: 28
    Char: 421
    Code: 0
    URI: /themes/javascript/compressed/jquery/jquery.js?v=1319145011

Line: 1
    Char: 2
    URI: /admin.php?S=4ad1603361b4eb1e90874ffb1768be7cfd65ab87&D=cp&C=javascript&M=load&file=css&theme=default&v=1319145005

Line: 1
    URI: /admin.php?S=4ad1603361b4eb1e90874ffb1768be7cfd65ab87&D=cp&C=javascript&M=load&file=css&theme=default&v=1319145005

Line: 51
    URI: /admin.php?S=4ad1603361b4eb1e90874ffb1768be7cfd65ab87&D=cp&C=content_files_modal

In IE8 Standards Mode everything works fine. Adding <meta http-equiv=“X-UA-Compatible” content=“IE=8”> in system\expressionengine\views\_shared\header.php to force IE9 to render in IE8 Standards Mode is a quick and dirty fix to avoid the errors.
    These javascript errors cause issues with addons (like P&T Assets: client reports he is unable to upload files in IE), so a solid fix would be very appreciated.

• #28 / Oct 24, 2011 9:59pm

Dan Decker

7338 posts

Hi StudioKong,

When you apply the quick and dirty fixes, does everything work as expected? A more solid solution is definitely what we would want, but just trying to understand if the issue is immediately solved for your client.

Cheers,

• #29 / Oct 25, 2011 3:59am

StudioKong

34 posts

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your concern. Everything works fine so far in IE8 Standards Mode.

Greetings,

Koen

• #30 / Oct 25, 2011 10:37pm

Dan Decker

7338 posts

@All,

We would love to hear from the other affected users on this thread.

Cheers,

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases